Monday, January 17, 2011

Holden Ryall Brown

That's right, he has a name. Sorry for the delay. Holden is a name we just happen to like and Ryall is the name of my (Rachel) Irish ancestors. Thanks to Jordan for doing my family history. I will recap the night Holden decided to join us. Gavin woke up from his nap at about 4pm. We let him open his birthday presents (a toolbox, a few cars from Cars, and Mack and a shake and go Lightning McQueen). He was loving his presents. Jordan ran to the store to get a few things to make the salad dressing to go with our Cafe Rio Pork imitation. I'm playing with Gavin and feel some pretty bad stomach pains so I decide to go to the bathroom. I stand up and cough and my water breaks. So I call Jordan and tell him to hurry; he's already on his way. Liz, our neighbor and best friend ever, is playing outside with her kids so I open the door and tell her my water broke. She comes in and helps get Gavin's things together while Jordan and I are getting my things together...that's right I hadn't even started packing. That's what Tuesday was for. Well the contractions are pretty hard and pretty close. Liz takes Gavin, feeds him dinner, does his birthday cake, puts him to bed, and stays with him until Jordan gets home around midnight. Meanwhile, Jordan and I arrive at the hospital, I'm getting "water" all over the floor (sorry janitor), and we head up to the second floor. We get checked in, get in my room, and the contractions start to really hurt. At this point they are a minute and a half apart. They page my doctor and he is in surgery, so they give me a shot to slow down the contractions. Doesn't work. They won't give me any pain medicine because they are waiting to get into the OR. I'm pretty desperate at this point. With a scheduled C-section, natural pain management strategies were not learned. After an hour and fifteen minutes and dilated to a 4, they wheel me into the OR where I see Dr King - not my doctor. I thought he was assisting, but turns out Dr Dozier was still in surgery. Turns out that surgery lasted 2.5 hours longer than expected. Glad we moved on. I was in so much pain I didn't care anymore. Finally the epidural came and it was heaven. A couple of minutes later, Holden was out and they started working on me. After I was all sewn up, they wheeled me to recovery, where I waited for about an hour and a half. This was new. It was 4 hours before I finally got to hold Holden. One of my bigger complaints about the experience. With Gavin, I had him within an hour, even with a C-section. Second biggest complaint: no access to a sink for the majority of my hospital stay. We now have Holden safely at home where he weighed in at 10 lb 4 oz today (2 weeks). He was 9 lb 7 oz at his 1 week checkup. Here are a few pics to go along with all of this text. And by a few, I mean a lot.






I call this one thrashing-in-pain-hair

Gavin got possessive of a few of his old things

My favorite boys






He needs a tool belt

He's found his thumb a couple of times


Brothers

Seriously he has to have a turn whenever Holden does









11 comments:

Nicole said...

I couldn't hold Paxton for a long time too after my c-section. I wonder if it's different when you labor and push before hand verses just going right into the OR. I was shaking so bad from laboring and pushing so long afterwards which is why I couldn't hold Paxton for a while. My body went into bad shock. He's adorable, and you look great for just having a baby! : )

Emilee said...

Aww thanks for posting pics you guys. Holden is so adorable! And Gavin, he is more hansom than ever :)

Connie said...

I still can't believe that you had to go through labor before your C-section...rip off!!! Glad it all turned out and that you and lil pudge are a-okay. Love all the pics!!!

Starlie and Nate Schmutz said...

Cute name! congratulations-thats going to be fun that they both have the same birthdays! at least while they are young! and by the way even right after birth I am jealous of your beautiful naturally curly hair.

Ciara said...

Yeah! Great update and what a bunch of handsome boys. Congrats and can't wait for more updates!

Jessica said...

Hooray! Love the name... adorable little guy! Here's to a speedy recovery and enjoying every moment of mommyhood!

The Jessups said...

OH WOW. So our conversation was cut short today since I could not walk around with my phone. We didn't even get to talk about the actual labor experience. I can't believe you had to go through that before your C Section. Only you cold pull it off! AND, you look way too good to have just had a baby. I love Gavin in the bouncer. The pics of the boys are SO cute. Love you guys!

krystale said...

so cute rachel! i love him already.

kyle and ila johnson said...

congratulations to you and jordan!

Robyn said...

Those are some cute pictures. Rachel I hope you plan to keep posting (regularly, not once every few months!) when you guys are gone.

Brooke said...

SO SO SO CUTE! It's been far too long since I clicked over to your blog. Congratulations on your two beautiful boys. Can't even believe they have the same birthday. What are the odds of that?! You look lovely as usual in these pics. Hope you guys are doing well!